Thursday, February 7, 2008

Raspberry and almond muffins - The muffin book

I am delighted to say that my Kitchenaid mixer finally arrived today! After lots of deliberation and discussions I decided to go for it and order one. I was extremely lucky to have received some John Lewis vouchers from my colleagues as a leaving present from my job (I have worked there for 14 years) and so I felt that my Kitchenaid would be a fitting present to myself after 14 years hard labour in a busy east-end London hospital, and yes now she is here, it was worth the slog!!
I obviously could not wait to see it in action and so I needed something quick and easy to whip up. I decided on some muffins, both Marc and I had long train/car journeys in the morning as so I thought these would be a perfect little treat to wrap up and take with us.
This book, I bought from the book people for a fantastic price, for a few pounds I think. I have not used it as yet, mainly because I have a few tried and tested muffin recipes that always serve me well. Anyhow, I am pleased to say that these were perfection! Moist, soft but with a chewy texture, they were a great breakfast substitute, and as for the kitchenaid.....wonderful!
I halved this recipe in the end, purely as I did not have enough raspberries for the 12, but I would like to think the end result was in no way diminished. There was a mention of sprinkling some coffee crystals over the batter, which I have to say I ignored!

(makes 12 standard muffins)

315g self raising flour
160g granulated white sugar
90g ground almonds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
250mls milk (I used semi-skimmed, and it was fine)
60g melted butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
185g frozen or fresh raspberries
45g flaked almonds (I only had whole ones, so I just chopped them roughly)

Preheat the oven to 220oc and grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin

In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and stir through the sugar and almonds and make a well in the center

Combine the vanilla, eggs, milk and butter and then add to the flour mixture together with the raspberries. (This is where I used the mixer)

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling two thirds full. Sprinkle even amounts of the chopped/flaked almonds on top

Bake until golden brown (approx 15-20 mins), remove from the oven and cool in pan for 5 mins and either serve warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

7 comments:

Georgina Ingham | CulinaryTravels said...

They look fabulous. Congratulations on the new job and your lovely KA :)

vonsachsen said...

Hey, hey, we want a piccie of the KA!!!
The raspberry muffins sound and look very tempting :)

A & N said...

I saw Apples for Jam on your shelf. When are you going to make something from that beautiful book? I had it for Christmas and am yet to make anything from it. I need inspiration from you :)

A & N said...

P.S "a&n" is me; AmyGray (aka NewNigella!!!!) xxxx

hungryandfrozen said...

These look excellent - it must have been fun to use the KA at last! Raspberry and almond sounds like a lovely combo.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Congrats on your new arrival! How lovely that the muffins were such a success!
xx

Rhyleysgranny said...

These look very yummy. I do like your blog Tina. Enjoy more and more success with your KA and your challenge
xxx