Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dense chocolate loaf cake - How to be a domestic goddess by Nigella Lawson


Awoke to a beautiful winters day, cold, crisp and the kitchen full of sunshine. I love mornings like this, the house is perfectly quite and I can potter in the kitchen, usually to do some baking. I decided upon this cake, as well it's chocolate (need I explain more..?) and I was attracted to Nigella's description of it's damp, squidginess. Cakes like that tend to last a few days longer, and so perfect with a cup of tea later in the week. I was slightly nervous though, a few people over at Violets have had a few troubles with this cake.
The mixing was a bit of a nightmare, in fact my hand held electric whisk almost gave up the ghost when trying to cream the butter and muscovado sugar. Thank goodness that I have recently ordered a kitchenaid mixer! In fact, I ended up putting the mixture in my magimix to beat. The kitchen was in real mess...discarded whisks, magimix bowls covered in cake batter, not the relaxed baking session I was thinking of! Anyhow, it finally came together and in the oven it went. I really do recommend that you follow Nigella's tip of placing the loaf tin on a baking tray, not only to catch any cake that rises over, but just for ease of getting in and out of the oven. The batter is very liquid and quite honestly dropping that all over the floor could send a girl over the edge!
After 45 minutes in the oven and a period of cooling, here is the finished result - cake perfection. Damp and dark and full of chocolate flavour, this cake is amazing. I served it with ice cream and raspberries, to a very appreciative boyfriend!

6 comments:

Georgina Ingham | CulinaryTravels said...

Looks lovely Tina!

George xxx :)

vonsachsen said...

Wow! Your cake looks great and it hasn´t sunken either! I´ve made it too but (as nigella "instructs" mine has sunken in the middle ;P).
Mmmm, suddenly I feel like choco cake...

A & N said...

Hey Tine,

Your cake looks amazing! Well done you. Good luck with the project. Am interested in what your How to Eat choice will be :-)

Amy xxx

Anna's kitchen table said...

Just found your blog Tina - it looks great!

I ADORE this chocolate cake, but haven't made it for aaaaages, must remedy that!!!
xx

Thinking About Food said...

Yum is all I can say!!!!!!

hungryandfrozen said...

Tina, I made this just the other day! I like your idea of serving it with raspberries. OH went MAD for it...it seems to just get better and better with time, too! Gorgeous photos.