Saturday, March 22, 2008

Garlic Chicken - How to eat by Nigella Lawson

Now here's the problem...what on earth do I choose to blog about from a book that I utterly love and treasure? I can honestly say that How to eat is possibly by favourite cookery book, mainly as it was the catalyst that sparked my love of food and gave me the confidence to cook. So it was very difficult to decide what recipe would make the blog, I decided to give the book the justice it deserves and give an example that sums of Nigella's book perfectly...so so easy, utterly delicious and if you were a first timer cook or under confident...you would be very very pleased with yourself.
The recipe calls for using chicken wings, but I often substitute chicken drumsticks mostly becuse they are often very economical cuts of meat, and therefore I can afford organic, and as with most of Nigella's chicken recipe's you have to alter the times to suit your own oven..it does not really matter that you are using a 'chunkier' cut. These were served with a big salad, and some new potatoes...just enough for two, but I cannot stress how easy these are if cooking for a crowd. A top tip that I must pass on is to line your baking tray/dish with tin foil as the sticky mess the follows these delights is enough to make a girl weep into her marigolds! Nigella's recipe also calls for the meat to marinate for 36 hours, but in all honesty I have never been organised enough to achieve this! I have happily cooked these after 1-2 hours in the fridge, but obviously the longer the better.

Recipe

2 heads of garlic, cloves seperated but unpeeled
400mls oilve oil
Juice of 2 lemons
16 chicken wings

Method

Put the garlic gloves in cold water, bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. Then drain, push the cloves out of their skins into the processor and blitz. Then, with the motor running, pour the oil down the funnel till you have a milky-white gloop. Add the lemon juice and pour over the chicken wings, and leave covered in the fridge for 36 hours.
Take out of the fridge a good hour before cooking, and empty out into a roasting tin. Preheat the oven to 210oc/gas mark 7 then cook, basting occasionally, for 45 minutes (I also give an hour though) until the wings are very well done, crisp and burnished brown. Arrange on a serving plate and sprinkle generously with course sea salt.

12 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

This is one of my favourite Nigella recipes - so delicious and simple. HTE is probably my favourite cookbook too - it's such a 'classic.'

Laura :)

Georgina Ingham | CulinaryTravels said...

This is one recipe I've never really got to grips with, finding it a wee bit bland. I love HTE though.

Saikat said...

Hi,
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl
contact me at saibose@gmail.com to know more.

thx-Saikat

PS: If you would like to showcase blog posts from your other blogs (to drive traffic to your other blogs or blogs you like), you can use our the customised version of our widget as well. Just drop in an email :-)

Anna's kitchen table said...

Easy and tasty? Sounds great! :-)

A & N said...

Tina,

I loved this recipe too - so simple and so delicious. I found that the garlic was sweet and moorish instead of that acrid pungency often associated with garlic. Although, I still think you should try the one-pan chicken!!

Amy xxxx (cookingforchris.blogspot.com)

Rhyleysgranny said...

Oh this looks good. What a very good tip about the foil. I wish I'd known about that when I made the maple syrup ribs and chicken from NE.
XXX

violets said...

We all love the recipe too, your photo of them looks really delicious.


Vi xx

violets said...

Tina, you been tagged by me, see my blog.


Vi xx

A & N said...

Tina,

You've been tagged by me too (a different tag). See my cookingwithchris blog! Love ya! XX

AmyG xxx

Rosie said...

Oh wow just wonderful! I haven't tried this recipe of Nigella's as yet but it sure looks scrummy :)

laputain said...

i'm surpised to see you switched from chicken wings to drumsticks on account of budget; certainly in scotland chicken wings are about the cheapest bit of chicken you can get- so cheap most supermarkets don't stock them!

As you say, this allows the purchasing of organic happy chooks. In fact, the chicken wings are the only things I can afford from at least one of the chicken stalls at the Farmers' Market.
Reckon this recipe is probably fairly similar to the maple chicken n' ribs in Nigella Express- i.e. brilliant!

michelle @ thursday night smackdown said...

garlic + chicken = comfort. good on nigella.

btw, i'm starting up a blog event based on getting people to actually use all their cookbooks and hoarded food magazines - i thought it might interest you!